Monthly Archives: August 2017
Simplify and Standardise
Too Much “Product Variation” Costs More To Produce. And Less Customer Sales.
Printers – Oil Filled Radiators – Phones – Inks – Cleaners etc.
You Only Have To Look At The ARGOS Catalogue…
“TOO MUCH VARIATION” “LEADS TO LESS SALES”.
Printers & Inks :-
Manufacturers make too many different models…
Thousands of Inks for 5 Colours… WHY ????
Canon PIXMA 6550 re-designed to Canon PIXMA 6850
Same printer but INK is Different – WHY ????
Think about the manufacturing costs by “Too Much Variation”
- New Tooling development costs
- New Ink development and costs
- Machine tooling set up costs
- Assembly change over costs
- Quality and NPI planning issues
- Supplier and Customer warehousing costs
- Shops NOT having what the customer actually wants
- TO MUCH PRODUCT VARIATION – SLOWS DOWN PRODUCTION
The more variations made : –
- The slower the manufacturing process –
- The more manufacturing problems there will be –
- The more rejects and scrap there will be produced –
- The more difficult the customer will find it to choose –
- THE CUSTOMER WON’T BUY – TOO MUCH CHOICE…
Think about Mavis in Arkwright’s Shop. – “2″ is too much choice !!!
Henry Ford said:-
“You can have any colour you want as long as it is black”
Cars came of the production line every 60 seconds… “PROBABLY”
- and they were cheap…
- and they were ‘Fit For Purpose’
- and they were produced, ‘Single-Piece-Flowline’
Edwards Deming said:-
Adopt the new philosophy.
- Design products and services to meet customers’ needs.
- Put your customers’ needs first, rather than to competitive pressure.
- Create your quality vision, and implement it – “Fit For Purpose” not cheap and nasty.
- Provide support and resources so that production levels and quality are achievable.
- Look at how the process is carried out – Not just numerical targets.
- REDUCE VARIATION – INCREASE PRODUCTION, INCREASE SALES
KEEP IT SIMPLE….. STANDARDISE
For implementation of these principles :-
Please contact us and we will arrange a visit.
Atherton Management Services Ltd – 07970 333 466