Monthly Archives: August 2017
There is too much variation
Printers – Oil Filled Radiators – Phones – Inks – Cleaners –
“TOO MUCH VARIATION”
One manufacturer is advertising 6 different A4 models…
I had a Canon PIXMA 6550 until it died – I had to buy a Canon PIXMA 6850
Same printer but INK is Different – WHY ????
Think about the manufacturing costs by “Too Much Variation”
- New Tooling development costs
- New Ink development and costs
- Machine tooling set up costs
- Assembly change over costs
- Planning and scheduling issues
- Quality and NPI planning issues
- Inventory and warehousing costs
- Supplier issues and extra cost to suppliers
- Delivery issues and extra costs related to deliveries
- Shops NOT having what the customer actually wants
The more variations made : –
- The slower the manufacturing process –
- The more manufacturing problems there will be –
- The more rejects and scrap there will be produced –
- The more difficult the customer will find it to choose –
- The customer will NOT buy, “Frustrated”
Think about Mavis in Arkwright’s Shop. – “2″ is too much choice !!!
Oil Filled Radiators:-
One manufacturer is advertising 12 models.
- 0.5kW, 1.0kW, 1.5kW, 2.0kW, 2.5kW
- 3 years guarantee, 5 years guarantee, 10 years guarantee,
Henry Ford said:-
“You can have any colour you want as long as it is black”
Cars came of the production line every 60 seconds… “PROBABLY”
- and they were cheap…
- and they were ‘Fit For Purpose’
- and they were produced, ‘Single-Piece-Flowline’
Edwards Deming said:-
Adopt the new philosophy.
- Design products and services to meet customers’ needs.
- Put your customers’ needs first, rather than to competitive pressure.
- Be prepared for change in the way business is done – Leading, not simply managing or reacting.
- Create your quality vision, and implement it – “Fit For Purpose” not cheap and nasty.
- Provide support and resources so that production levels and quality are achievable.
- Look at how the process is carried out – Not just numerical targets.
- Measure the process rather than the people behind the process.
KEEP IT SIMPLE….. STANDARDISE
For implementation of these principles :-
Please contact us and we will arrange a visit.
Atherton Management Services Ltd – 07970 333 466